Minutes of Meeting, May 26, 2015
May 26, 2015
On May 26, 2015, the Shawnee Township Board of Trustees met at the Shawnee Township Administration Building, 2530 Fort Amanda Rd., Lima, Ohio. Chairman Belton called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. Roll call indicated those present as follows: Trustee David Belton, Trustee Russ Holly, Chief Mike Keith, Chief Todd Truesdale, Zoning Inspector Mark Bishop, Superintendent Howard Gray and Administrative Assistant Missy Van Meter. Trustee Chris Seddelmeyer, Fiscal Officer Stephanie Hoffer and Attorney Clay Balyeat were absent.
Mr. Holly made a motion to pass the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of May 11, 2015, Mr. Belton seconded the motion. Motion passed 2-0.
Privilege of the Floor: Harry Baber: Mr. Harry Baber had requested privilege of the floor to address drainage issues; however he was unable to attend.
Allen Water District Mr. Lynn Krohn, Shawnee Township Representative for the Allen Water District introduced Attorney Rex Huffman to discuss regionalization of Water/Sewer Districts. Mr. Huffman has been obtained by Allen Water District to represent them in the proposed regionalization of the Sanitary Sewer. Mr. Huffman discussed the Local Government Innovation Fund Grant that was applied for, and granted in the amount of $50,000 to conduct a feasibility study. The proposal expands the powers of the Allen Water District to include sewer services, or to utilize a co-op agreement for sewer services that would include the city and county. Mr. Huffman stated that the benefits of regionalization of sewer systems includes: planning, water planning and cost, cost sharing of infrastructure, removes the politics, economic development, assists the unserved and underserved area and assures projects. The implementation of such proposal would affect the board representation as is exists and would allow non-participating Townships powers regarding proposed projects. Steve Kayatin, Allen County Sanitary Engineer addressed the Board. Mr. Kayatin stated that he has resigned his position with the Allen Water District and represents the Allen County Commissioners on the proposed regionalization of the Sewer District. Mr. Kayatin stated that it is the intent of the project to bring water and sewer into one entity. Russ Holly questioned the cost and regulations of such a proposal. Mr. Kayatin stated that they would have to negotiate with the City of Lima for a contract, and that smaller entities could join, spreading the cost out. They will continue with the feasibility study and meet with the Trustees once the study is complete.
FISCAL OFFICER: Nothing to Report
LEGAL ADVISOR: Absent
The Trustees questioned the progress of the Greens Road property, the Southwood Drive property, and the Daniels Avenue property. Mr. Bishop informed them where each property stood. Review of checks received from Clay’s office.
RESOLUTION 58-15 Approval of Contract through OTSO with Shawnee Township and Frank Arvay
BE IT RESOLVED that the Shawnee Township Board of Trustees hereby approves the contract with Ohio Traffic Safety Office (OTSO) and Frank Arvay for the term of October 1, 2015 through September 30, 2016 as attached hereto. FURTHER, the Shawnee Township Board of Trustees hereby accepts the Law Enforcement Liaison Grant #2016-GG-00423-00 as funding for the above contract. Mr. Holly motioned for approval, Mr. Belton seconded, and the motion carried 2-0. Roll Call: Mr. Belton, Yes Mr. Holly, Yes Mrs. Seddelmeyer, Absent
RESOLUTION 59-15 Ending FMLA – E. DeMoss
WHEREAS the Shawnee Township Board of Trustees passed Resolution 50-15 on May 11, 2015 allowing Family Medical Leave for Firefighter Eddie DeMoss beginning May 5, 2015 in accordance with the Family Medical Leave Act, and; NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that Mr. DeMoss’ FMLA shall end effective May 12, 2015. Mr. Holly motioned for approval, Mr. Belton seconded, and the motion carried 2-0. Roll Call: Mr. Belton, Yes Mr. Holly, Yes Mrs. Seddelmeyer, Absent
RESOLUTION 60-15 Acceptance of Resignation – Joe Lafferty
BE IT RESOLVED that the Shawnee Township Board of Trustees hereby accepts the resignation of Firefighter/Paramedic Joe Lafferty effective May 30, 2015. FURTHER the Board wishes to extend their appreciation to Mr. Lafferty for his service to the residents of Shawnee Township and wish him success in his future endeavors. Mr. Holly motioned for approval, Mr. Belton seconded, and the motion carried 2-0. Roll Call: Mr. Belton, Yes Mr. Holly, Yes Mrs. Seddelmeyer, Absent
Mr. Holly made a motion to amend the agenda to include Resolution 53-15, tabled from the meeting of May 11, 2015 as follows:
Resolution 53-15 Authorization to Advertise for Public Hearing
Be it Resolved that the Shawnee Township Board of Trustees authorize the Advertising of a Public Hearing to be scheduled on June 22, 2015 at 9:00 a.m. for the purpose of revising the current Zoning Text. Mr. Holly motioned for approval, Trustee Belton seconded the motion, and the motion carried 2-0. Roll Call: Mr. Belton, Yes Mr. Holly, Yes Mrs. Seddelmeyer, Absent
• Hydrant checks underway. • Discussion on HB 64.
• Todd Barnhill’s retirement party on May 21st was appreciated.
• Request from Richard Smith of Breezewood Subdivision to replace signage with personalizes signage provided by Breezewood Neighborhood Association. Howard informed Mr. Smith that the Neighborhood would have to be responsible for repair, maintenance, and replacement of the signage should they choose to move forward with the personalized signage. • The stone for the chip-sealing project will begin being delivered to the Township next week.
• Discussion on permits issued. • Letter sent regarding fence issue on Reen Drive and Shawnee Road. • Meeting regarding Dominion Gas project in the Shawnee Oaks and Highway Heights subdivision area. • Inspection of Trailer Parks • Discussion regarding K&K project on McClain Road. • Numerous high grass complaints – violation letters sent.
• Submitted the Meeting Minutes for the May 2015 meeting. Trustee Holly made a motion to accept the minutes as presented. Trustee Belton seconded, and the motion was passed 2-0. • Information on lot sales and finances. • Meeting with the County Sanitary Engineer’s Office regarding the Easement on the western side of the cemetery. • Discussion regarding the hook-up of water. • Discussion regarding the Endowment Fund for the mausoleum.
• Delinquent tax notices. • Ottawa River Coalition meeting May 28, 2015 @ 11:00 a.m. • Central Dispatch meeting May 28, 2015 @ 1:00 a.m.
Mr. Holly motioned that the board approve paying the bills by resolution, Mr. Belton seconded, and the motion was passed 2-0. Roll call: Mr. Belton (yes) Mr. Holly (yes) Mrs. Seddelmeyer (absent)
Trustee Holly made a motion to recess the Regular Meeting of the Board to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel issues. Trustee Belton seconded the motion. Regular Meeting recessed at 11:10 a.m. Trustee Holly made a motion to reconvene the Regular meeting of the Board, Trustee Belton seconded and the motion passed 2-0.
With no further business to be brought before the Board of Trustees, Trustee Holly motioned for adjournment, Trustee Belton seconded and the motion carried 2-0. Meeting adjourned Board of Trustees Regular Meeting held May 26, 2015