Child Safety Seats
One of the many services Shawnee Township Fire Department provide is seat checks for all child safety seats.
GET A CAR SEAT CHECKED
We all want our children to travel safely in cars. Installing a car seat for younger children and babies can be a challenge. You can make an appointment with your local (CPS) technician in your community who can check to make sure your car seats are installed correctly and teach you how to use and install a car seat on your own.
There are a few things you should know before you meet with the CPS technician. Working with a CPS technician will be a one-on-one learning experience. When you leave, you should be confident that your child’s seat is installed correctly and feel comfortable re-installing it on your own. This may be the most important thing you learn.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Be prepared to learn, not just watch the CPS technician install the car seat.
- Try to schedule an appointment one to two months prior to your baby’s due date just in case you deliver early. Many CPS technicians and their agencies require appointments several days in advance.
- If your child is already born, know your child's weight and height, and bring your child with you. If possible, also bring another adult to help watch the child while you are learning.
- Install the seat in your vehicle before your car seat checkup appointment. Be sure to use the instructions that came with the child car seat and the instructions in your vehicle owner’s manual regarding car seats.
- Bring the car seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual with you to your appointment.
Shawnee Township Fire Department
2526 Ft Amanda Rd Lima Ohio 45804
- Bring your car seat and vehicle to install in
- Bring child seat manual
- Bring child if possible
- Have vehicles owners manual available
- Bring the form with you or fill one out at your appointment
To set up an opportunity to receive a free child safety seat please fill out the information below. Each date will be limited on a first come first serve basis.
**Everyone will receive a confirmation of request prior to your visit to secure your spot to receive the seat.
** IMPORTANT** It is possible you may arrive to pick up your seat and everyone may be on an emergency call. Please be patient with us and we will be in contact as soon as we return.
If you would like to make an appointment call (419)222-2986 ask for Mike Smith or schedule an appointment with the Administrative Assistant Theresa Paxson
Note: Shawnee Township Fire Department does not have access to Infant Carrier style seats.
Step 2: Fill out the form:
Step 3: I will contact you via email to make an appointment, or you can call the station:
Also you can browse through the latest list of recalls to see if your child's seat is recalled.